Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day two with Hughes





I went to the orphanage twice again today and spent about an hour each time with Hughes. In between those visits, we tried to find an internet cafe or somewhere with high speed internet and were unsuccessful. I will have to post the pictures when I return on the 5th.

We played outside today for both visits and I taught Hughes to "gimmie 5". He learns things so quick. I pushed a toy car (for the race fans it was a funny car) and he would pic it up, look at it, then set it down and move it forward on its wheels. It seems he is trying to figure it all out.

He is getting more acquainted with me every time we meet. When I hold out my hands, he reaches for me. He nuzzles in my shoulder and chest for the occasional quite moment. The caregiver said he didn't sleep well at naptime, which is sometimes what they do when they have been spending time with new parents. I don't understand why. When I was leaving after the 1st visit today, one caregiver said "spasibo" which means thank you. She was thanking me for wanting to be his mother.

During that visit I signed the "letter of intention" for lack of a better term. The orphanage chief MD also signed it and stamped it. I guess it is official.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shari,

The goose bumps keep coming with every post I read and the so so happy tears!! You are one amazing mommy!!!

It also seems as if Hughes is going to be as smart as his new mommy if not smarter!! Love you both kido.

Love Marce

Anonymous said...

I see he is stealing your heart very quickly. I trust he has a sweet demeanor and is a good little guy? Maybe he's inquisitive like you have always been.
Perhaps you can talk them into just letting you take him now. :o) Though, could you take care of a toddler with a broken ankle? I am quite sure you would mannage.
So glad things are going well and things are 'uneventful' since the first day.....or are they? What are you doing (or able to do) between sessions? Dreaming about the next?
Liz and the kids
P.S. I proof-read this time. I is not as uneducated as the last email seemed. :o)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've got goosebumps again and tears in my eyes. Your child FINALLY found you! Can't wait until you get home. Take care. When do you leave?

Julie

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting!!!! I bet Hughes is falling in love more each visit with you too. In my mind I see him cuddling on your shoulder. Child and parent bliss. :) Can't wait to see new pics of your big guy. Does he have any interest in your cast? ( I still can't believe you found a real "bump in the road" to trip over)
Missing you and keeping the Crumbley family in my prayers!
Ali

The M. Herndon Family said...

How great that you are getting to play with him and spend time with him. Sounds like he liked the cars! Better have a lot ready for him at home! Looking forward to the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Shari!!!!! Im SOOO excited for you....I'm crying reading your post for today! I cant wait to meet Hughes...He is so lucky to have you as a mother!!!
Julie

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know I'm crying... I am so happy for you.

Love Brandy

Anonymous said...

"Letter of Intention"
What little words for such a momentous thing. I "intend" to be your mom. The orphanage chief stamped the letter. I "intend" to be your family. She thanked me for wanting to be his mom. I "intend" to take you home with me. Wow.
No wonder he had trouble sleeping. I think he knows.
Love you, Kerstin

P.S. I "intend" to help you through this, hang in there.

Kelli Schlich said...

Shari and Hughes,
I have a very large lump in my throat...if that caregiver only knew how long you have waited to be his mother. I hope your ankle is mending ok. I guess your ankle pain is replacing labor pains...you will forget all about it when you get that boy home. From someone else who didn't have an easy time getting our kids here you will find it is all worth while. Cherish every minute...they grow up soooo fast and then they are teenagers..yikes! I find myself checking several times a day to see if you have posted, this is just great. I can't wait to meet him. See you soon!
Kelli